Welcome to McCrimmon Middle School and to a new academic year 2013/2014! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mrs. Gupta and I will be your child’s homeroom teacher (605) and will be teaching Mathematics, Science and Technology to 604, 605 and 606 students . I am very much looking forward to teaching your child, and to sharing an exciting and busy year.
Students: Here is a list of fun and interactive websites to help you practice your multiplication skills. Enjoy!!
605 teaching team: Your child will receive instructions from the following teachers in our grade 6 team:
Mr. Morris Language Arts, Social Studies
Mrs. Gupta Mathematics, Science, Technology
Mrs. Greis French
Mr. Sookhoo Physical Education, Health
Mr. Nesbit Music
Ms. Brancaleoni Dance and Drama
Mrs. Angeles Visual Arts
Ms. Dhir TAG (Teacher Advisory Group)
Overview of Term 1 Math and Science Curriculum: We will begin the term with a short review of Mathematics skills and concepts covered in grade 5. We will then move on, as quickly as possible, to cover grade 6 curriculum. The Mathematics strands/ concepts that will be covered in the first term are:
Number Sense : Place Value up to millions, factors, multiples, composite & prime numbers, Whole & Decimal numbers
Measurement: Linear, selecting and justifying appropriate metric units, conversions, area of a parallelogram, triangle, rectangle and relationship among them
Patterning: Growing & shrinking pattern, pattern rule, determine the term number and a term
Probability: Theoretical probability, probability of an event- experimental probability
Geometry : Polygons, measuring angles up to 180°, classify them, construct polygons, Coordinates
In Science we will be learning the following:
Biodiversity: human impacts on biodiversity, and identify ways of preserving biodiversity
- characteristics of living things, and classify diverse organisms according to specific characteristics
- biodiversity, its contributions to the stability of natural systems, and its benefits to humans
Electricity: impact of the use of electricity on both the way we live and the environment
- characteristics of static and current electricity, and construct simple circuits
- principles of electrical energy and its transformation into and from other forms of energy.
• Will be assigned and posted regularly on my class-website
• Will be checked regularly
• Should be completed the day it is assigned to allow for extra help
• Work at home should include class assignments, reviewing notes, multiplications tables/facts, studying for tests, reading, updating notes and organizing your binder
• If printing needs to be done at school, it should be done the day before the assignments is due
Extra Help: Extra help will be available throughout the week and times will be determined by the teacher
• Each students is responsible for seeking extra help available to them
• Study hall will be there in the library during lunch hour where they can catch-up on any missed or incomplete work
• Students who miss class are responsible for getting the notes from a homework buddy
• Students who miss a test or quiz should see their teacher to write the test/quiz on the day they return to school
It is important that your child develops strong, independent study habits in class and at home. Please check My Class website regularly for any upcoming and important events, resources, homework assignments and due dates.
I am looking forward to working together with you to create a positive and successful school year for your child. If, at any time during the school year you should have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at school at (905) 495-3229 Ext. 118 or write me a note. As we work together to instill in each child a sense of confidence, self-esteem and responsibility, it is our hope that each child will strive for his/her highest potential.